Learning English is fun!

Learning English is fun!

lunes, 3 de febrero de 2014

"Mona Lisa Quiet" (Management Technique)

I recently read and other English teachers told me about the "Mona Lisa call/response technique".  I think it is perfect, specially for pupils of the 1st cycle!. My students usually hear me say "Mona Lisa quiet" because of the noise level display. These directions are so clear, specific, and fun!. 

So, I decided to print and laminate the picture to place it in each classroom!. We may add some other instructions, such as: 

  • Stay in your seat.
  • Raise your hand.
  • Only talk to people at your table.


I write these rules on the board and review them at the beginning of class each week. When students violate a rule, I direct their attention back to the board before going any further. While my normal teaching style is more relaxed, this system works to restore some order to the chaotic class.When I need students to return attention I say "Mona" to which they reply "Lisa" and follow the Mona directions.

I recommend the "Mona Lisa" technique!. 



Don't forget to leave a corner in your classroom to put this visual you will see below!. I call it "Before you speak...THINK". Children will appreciate silence in the classroom while they are doing their tasks or they participate in an oral activity or any other information exchange. 



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario